Thursday, April 19, 2012

April 17, 2012

Oho! Sawad dii Khrab! How are you all? I am doing so great here.
Lovin' every second of it (for the most part). It's been a full, crazy
week. Nice to finally have a P-Day to relax, but at the same time I
kind of wish things would just keep rolling like they were. Well, to
start off, Wednesday and Thursday I was sick. I woke up super
congested Wednesday morning and there was no way I would have been
able to function, so after I showered I just went back to bed. Then me
and my comps went to the Health Clinic once it opened at 8 and I got
checked out. They tested for strep, which came back negative, and the
doctor said he didn't think it was the bad flu that had been going
around in the MTC since I didn't have a bad fever (but trust me, I
think it was). He called down to the BYU Health Clinic and had them
get some Claritin ready for me, so we walked over there and picked it
up, then I went straight back to bed. I was feeling a little better
around 5, so I went to dinner and then my night class. The next
morning I woke up and felt pretty good, so I went to class then too.
Then it hit me again with bad cough and congestion, and a lot of
aches, so I went back to bed for the rest of the day. It was alright
though, because when I couldn't sleep, I read the Book of Mormon. That
was just fine with me, I LOVE that book! I'm at Alma 41 now, not sure
if that's ahead or behind the pace. Where's everyone else? I'm feeling
good now though, just a little congestion.
Ok, backtrack. Tuesday night, Keith B. McMullin, formerly of the
Presiding Bishopric, spoke to us. He gave a really good talk on the
importance of letting the Spirit be the one to teach the
investigators, we just need to "awaken that which they already know,"
because Heavenly Father prepares every investigator before they even
meet the missionaries. Great talk!
The rest of the week went by good. We're still teaching Pragad and
Dom, and we got two new investigators, Lisa and Hali (the sisters in
our district). Me and my comps are also investigators for Elders
Haughton and Campbell. It's cool to be on the other side. It gives
good perspective on what things might be confusing to investigators,
so it really helps with teaching. Kinda hard to stay in character
sometimes though, we have too much fun! Pragad and Dom are progressing
very nicely. At first, we were all over the place with them, but now
we're understanding how to keep it more structured and prepare them
for baptism a lot faster. I love teaching now! We can say pretty much
anything that we need to, so now we can just focus on working on new
techniques, and really teaching with the Spirit. It's crazy to see how
much we care about Dom and Pragad as investigators,even though we know
that they're just our teachers. That's why I'm so excited to go to
Thailand! I can't wait to see how people change. Every speaker that we
hear always talks about how they meet people they converted, and get
to see their kids and grandkids and everyone grow up in the church,
just because that one person accepted the Gospel. That's what I'm most
excited for.
Language is still coming along strong. I improve everyday, especially
with my speaking and vocab retention (I felt like I'd be alright at
that). But it's definitely gone this well with the Lord's help. I'd be
lost without Him! I can't wait to talk to you when I go to the airport
and speak some Thai! Haha it'll be funny to hear how all of you
pronounce things.
Ok, so I think I had one of the most epic Sunday's so far. Probably
even slightly better than Easter or Conference. The day was just good
in general. Me and Elder Bartling (ZL's) had to teach Priesthood. We
taught the Plan of Salvation, and it went really well. It really is a
Plan of Happiness. Then we went on the Temple Walk, which is always
nice. Now here's where it gets REALLY good. We get to the Devotional
and get solid seats. We didn't know who was speaking yet (never do
until just before it starts), but lo and behold, Elder Ballard walks
in! Two Apostles in two weeks! So awesome! We started out with a
really good violin musical number by one of the MTC presidency
counselor's 3 daughters and wife, it was "Lead Kindly Light." Great
song. Then Pres. Brown (MTC president) spoke to us about his mission
and Preach My Gospel. I didn't think he'd be that great of a speaker,
but it was awesome. Then...David Archuleta sang "The Spirit of God."
Usually don't like his music...really liked that. It was amazing, and
really brought the Spirit of God into the the meeting (and yes, Carli
probably mentioned I did get to chat with Elder Archuleta last week).
Then Elder Ballard spoke. He is hilarious! He spoke about true
conversion and having the Spirit with us when we teach, and that it
will truly convert the investigator, the member, and the missionary.
Changed my perspective on my mission. Made me want to work harder to
have the Spirit with me in my lessons. To top the meeting off, we sang
this SWEET version of "Called to Serve" where we started off quietly
and gradually got louder. Great way to end it.Then, me and my comps
went and watched a devotional by Tad R. Callister called "The Great
Apostasy." So cool! It had a lot of history in it, so I definitley
liked it. He have 10 reasons proving that there was an Apostasy. I'll
have to write them down and send it home. They're awesome. Best
Sunday!
We get nccng Thais tomorrow! Sorry, I spelled it nxng thais at first,
but instead of an "x" (or two "c" for that matter) it's actually
supposed to be two backwards "C's" with an "o" sound. Thai is crazy.
I'm excited for them to come! Yes Mom, I can't wait to be the big kid
on the block haha. One actually comes tonight from Canada.
It sounds like life back home is good with everyone!
Laur - I got your Graduation announcement and letter. Thank you!
That's so awesome! And I loved the picture that came with it. Gosh, I
seriously have the most beautiful sisters ever. I'm sorry you've been
sick lately though :( I hope you start feeling better, I'm praying for
you!
Carli - Thanks so much for the package! You sure do know what I like.
And thanks for the pics! I've been dying to SEE what's been going on
back home. Keep it up! Glad to hear that you're liking work, and
chillin with all my buds! Umm...I think you may have sent me a
DearElder every week, but you may have missed one. Not totally sure. I
think Brooke has too (pretty positive on that), and Lauren.
Britt and Brandt - Thanks for the letters! It's so great to hear how
you and your families are doing.
Britt - Of course I'm going to be ready to golf, I'll tear it up! Haha.
Brandt - Ah! I wish I could go riding so bad! Can't wait to hear more
about your trips. And keep the Yanks updates coming! (Give Scott some
heat from me if the Yanks took the series). How about the Utes?
Brooke - Thanks again for the weekly! Great to always hear how you're doing
Mom and Dad - Great to hear everything's going well at the house and
work. This weather's kind of a bummer for yard work, hopefully it
clears up soon. And thanks so much for the slacks and picture! Picture
is front and center in my room. And yes, definitely nice to be able to
switch it up. Glad to hear the bank mess is going to work out. I don't
think I need anything else right now, but I'll keep you posted. The
baked goods are the best! Haha you really have sent me all the basics.
I wouldn't mind some more sugar cookies, or just whatever is great.
Thanks! Love you!
The rest of my family - Love you all! Pray for you all everyday!
My friends - Love you too! Thanks to everyone that writes me, I love
hearing how you're all doing so much. VK, I can't wait for you to get
here tomorrow! You'll love it. Same for you Red! One week baby!
Thought of the Week: All week I've been thinking about the talk by
Elder Bednar I watched last week. One thing I really loved is this. He
said someone (probably another Apostle, can't remember) was talking to
him and asked him "How would you feel if an Apostle fell away from the
Church?" Of course he responded he'd be absolutely devastated. Then
the other man said "It wouldn't phase me. Yes, it would be sad. But my
faith in Christ is so strong, that there is no way it would affect by
belief in this Gospel." That's what stuck with me. That's what I want.
That's what we all should want.
Well, I love you all! Thanks for all the prayers and support!

ความรัก,
Elder Sharp

P.S. I think I know my return date. It says on my Ministerial
Certificate. But I don't know if I want to tell you, maybe I'll just
sneak home ;) You'll have to at least wait until next week haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment