Thursday, May 3, 2012

May 1, 2012

Sawad dii! What up what up?! How are all of my amazing friends and
family? I am doing great here (even though I don't really want to be
HERE anymore, I want to be in Thailand haha)! But don't worry, this
place is still great, and only 20 more days! So close. Yes, it is
crazy that it is May already, and I've almost been here two months. I
hope you all are doing good. This week was very solid. I'll start from
the beginning.
Tuesday - Devotional that night was just so-so...oh wait...it was
amazing because Elder Russell M. Nelson came and spoke to us! That's
four Apostles that have spoke to us now (I'm praying for Holland or
Bednar). His talk was great. He talked about 9 points of True Doctrine
that we need to focus on as missionaries, and expounded on each of
them. By the way, did you know that every time it says DoctrineS
(plural form) in the scriptures, it always has a  negative conotation,
like the doctrines of man or the doctrines of the devil. But every
time Doctrine is singular, it's talking about the Doctrine of Christ,
because there really is only one true Doctrine. That's so sweet!
Interesting little fact for ya'll.
Anyway, here's the 9 points of True Doctrine:
1. Godhead
2. Plan of Salvation
3. Atonement of Jesus Christ
4. Dispensation, Apostasy, and Restoration
5. Prophets and Revelation
6. Priesthood and Priesthood Keys
7. Ordinances and Covenants
8. Marriage and Family
9. Commandments
Cool, huh? I love hearing Apostles speak. They truly are Prophets of God.
Wednesday -  Good day. Nothing too specific that I can remember about
it (all the days blur together). We did get a new English District and
me and E. Bartling and Sis. Itri had to give them the orientation, so
that was pretty cool. They seem like cool Elders, and I actually know
one of them, Elder Marcus Shiotani. He was a year older than me in
school, and he was a convert at age 18. It's amazing how the Gospel
can change lives and make kids want to go on missions. I don't
remember much about Thursday or Friday either, so sorry about that.
Saturday - We have classes in the morning and afternoon, so it was
nice to get those done early. We taught TRC during one of the class
sessions, and it went really well. We taught about receiving
Revelation through Prayer. We read out of the Book of Mormon, the
story of Enos, and the First Vision. I invite you to read those two
passages. It's amazing how similar they are. All we need to do to
receive an answer to prayer is have Faith, and ask with real intent,
and our Heavenly Father will answer us. Amazing, isn't it? Anyway,
along with the member that we taught, me and E. Cox and E. Bartling
took turns reading verses out of the Thai Book of Mormon. My reading
is getting so much better! I cruised through the verses in Enos, but
then I got to Joseph Smith History. Those verses are so long! Kinda
stressed me out, but I got through it. The member was really impressed
with all of us. It's crazy how fast this language is coming. Both my
teachers have complimented me on how well I'm doing, but I know it's
only through the Lord's help and the Gift of Tongues. Last week, Bro.
Olsenn started this thing called "Jon Sala." It literally translates
to Salad Thief, but it means Pirate in Thai. Anyway, the person who
speaks the most Thai each day gets to be the Pirate. I have yet to
win, but I'm feeling good about tomorrow. It's not that I can't speak
Thai, it's that I love English too much haha. But I'm determined to
break the addiction.
Our investigators are coming along great! Pragad is nearly ready to be
baptized, just need to teach him a couple more commandments, and Phii
Dom is barely behind him. Dom is my favorite, because he always tries
to talk his way out of having to obey commandments by saying "God
Understands me" or "Elder Sharp understands me." I guess that's what
the REAL Dom did to Bro. Olsen in Thailand. I can't wait to get
there!!! Some of our Phii Thais sent letters and they said they're
loving it.
Sunday - Who doesn't love Sunday? It's great! I love taking the
Sacrament. It gives the spiritual boost needed to get through the
week. Elder Bartling got released as a Zone Leader. It's sad that I
won't get to work with him anymore, but a nccng Thai, Elder Cahoon,
replaced him, and I think he'll be awesome. Sunday night at the
fireside, Brother Robert P. Swenson, missionary director at the MTC
spoke on the importance of Being Happy, Having Fun (joy), and Being
Good, and how they all tie in with each other. It really renewed my
determination to Choose to Be Happy (as did that package, Mom :) )
After that, we watched another old MTC devo by Elder Bednar called
"Recognizing the Spirit." Here's the answer to the question "How do I
know if it's the Spirit, or just me?" ......Quit worrying about it! Be
a good boy, or a good girl, and the Spirit will take care of you and
guide you. I love that! That's one of the things I worry about a lot,
is it me or the Spirit? But now I won't! I love Elder Bednar, I think
he's my favorite speaker now.
Yes, I have seen Red around. I wasn't able to pick him up at the curb
because I couldn't be a host, and I didn't see him the first day. But
now I see him and VK everyday because they have about the same meal
schedule as me. VK's doing great now, Zone Leader. Red was a little
shell-shocked, just getting used to the MTC, but I talked to him at
the Temple on Sunday, and he's doing so much better now. I love seeing
friends, especially friends on missions.
How's everyone doing on their Book of Mormon Reading? Even if you
aren't going to finish in time, keep reading anyway, EVERYDAY. It will
bless your life in more ways than you can possibly know. I'm now in
the middle of 3 Nephi, when Christ is there. Favorite part of the Book
of Mormon. There is nothing better than to read about the Savior being
there in the flesh, and ministering and healing people and blessing
the little children. The Spirit gets so strong. I know my Savior
lives, that He loves me, that He died for me, that He knows how to
help me get through ANY problem in my life, no matter what it may be,
and that it's the same for everyone of you. Always remember that!
Mom - Thanks again for the package and E-mail! Those cookies were
actually exactly what I was going to ask for, the Gobstoppers have
definitely helped in class. I got the Bank paper notarized and sent
today, so it should be there tomorrow. I hope you're doing all good
after your surgery! That's sweet that you made Kate's cake, maybe you
could send a pic? I sent her a card for her b-day, I hope it got
there. It would've been a couple days late, because I accidentally
sent it without a stamp (oops!). Thanks so much for your testimony.
That strengths me so much, especially when I hear testimony from my
parents. And trust me, the Spirit has definitely emboldened me! I
don't think I need anything right now, just some advice. I did my
laundry today, and some stupid person threw a blue Sham-Wow towel in
with my whites (don't know who, never seen the towel before), so all
my garments and four white shirts are tinted blue. I think I'll have
to buy some new garments, should I just do it here? I think my shirts
will be alright (maybe), what do you think I should do?
Dad - How are you?! I hope work and everthing is going good. How are
the Yanks and Utes doing? Elder Nelson said somebody threw a perfect
game, who was it? I hope to hear from you soon!
Laur - Thanks for your letter! That definitely lifted my Spirit.
You're always so positive, and your testimony is so strong! It's so
sweet (and crazy) that you graduate so soon! That's fun that the fam
got to come up and hang out for family day.
Brooke - Thanks for the note! Hope to get your letter soon!
Car - Hope you're feeling better! Hope school and work are going good
(are you still in school?)
Rest of the Fam - Love you all! Hope you're all doing well, and hope
to hear from you soon!
Friends - Love you too! Hope to hear from you! Prest and Lando, how
are the misson preparations coming?
Anyway, love each and everyone of you! Hope you're all good! Peace out!

ความรัก,
Elder Sharp

No comments:

Post a Comment