Tuesday, May 8, 2012

May 8, 2012

Oho! Sawadii Khrab! How are all my family and friends? I am doing
quite swell at the moment. It's been a solid week. Thanks to everyone
who wrote me! I love getting letters and hearing about how you're all
doing. Brooke, Lauren, and Carli, I forgot your letters in my
residence, I was going to bring them to e-mail, but I'll try and cover
evertything. Only two more weeks (from yesterday)! Did you know I
leave on the 21st? Or did you still think I leave on the 24th? May
21st, 2012, I head to Thailand. Finally! It feels like I've been here
an eternity, yet it seems like yesterday you were dropping me off.
Crazy to think that the two month mark was yesterday. I'm one twelfth
of the way done with my entire mission. That really puts in
perspective how fast two years really goes. And they say once I get
out in the field, time goes even faster. I don't know if I told you
yet, but I think my actual return date is March 20th of 2014. That's
what it says on my Ministerial Certificate at least, I don't know how
accurate that is. But now Carli can make a paper chain haha! Some of
the Phii Thais write e-mails that get sent to our Branch Presidency,
so we get to read them each week. They are having some crazy
experiences! But they all say they love it there. Something they and
my teachers have talked about are the nasty stray dogs that run around
everywhere, especially in Thailand. The people there won't kill them
because they think it messes up the Reincarnation cycle, and that if
they kill them, they'll become a dog when they die. Weird. Anyway,
Elder Creer (Phii Thai) said he's ran over the same dog twice on his
bike. Bro. Chiu said him and his comp were riding through a graveyard
once, and a pack of about 40 started chasing them. Bro. Olsen got bit
by one, and after leaving two sketchy hospitals, he finally went to
Bangkok General and had to get 5 shots! I refuse to get bit. I will
kick any dog that comes near me. President Smith says it's ok, so I
don't feel guilty.
The language is coming along great. I can say what I want pretty much,
as long as I know the vocab. So that's what I've been focusing on
mostly this week. Reading and writing are getting a lot easier too.
During language study, I read out of the Book of Mormon for at least
20 minutes, so that really helps. The past two days I've been
memorizing a few shorter scriptures in Thai. I have Alma 34:32 and
Mosiah 4:15 down. It's still hard to understand what I'm reading if I
don't look at the English translation first, but I'm working on it. I
have become the "Pirate." I feel like I'm pretty good at speaking, all
through the Lord's help!
Investigators have been great! Pragad had his interview and he passed!
Even though he was fake, it was still pretty cool to see. Now Bro.
Chiu is a new investigator, Phii Golf (pronounced Gop, but yes, named
after the sport). We had our first visit with him yesterday and taught
him how to pray. It's so nice being able to start over with someone
and actually know how to speak and teach them. Dom is coming
along...slowly. He keeps missing church because his wife gets mad at
him and makes him go to the Buddhist Wat with her. He's hilarious
though. If I go to the area where the real Dom lives in Thailand
(Udon), I am definitely looking him up. I honestly cannot wait to go
and teach people! It's going to be the most awesome thing ever! We
taught TRC again on Saturday, a guy and a girl. The goal of the lesson
was teaching them about Revelation throught the Book of Mormon, so we
picked a few stories and applied it to their lives. Elder Cox picked
Captain Moroni and the importance of preparing always (Alma 48), Elder
Bartling picked Ammon and facing your trials head on (Alma 17), and I
picked Nephi and the principles of Faith and Obedience (1 Nephi 3 and
4). It turned out really well and I think they were quite impressed
with us.
On Tuesday night, Keith R. Edwards of the 70 spoke to us. I loved his
talk. He talked about a lot of things, but the main point was "No
Wasted Motions." Everything we do as a missionary has an effect on our
investigators, so we just need to have Faith and work hard, and
miracles will come to pass. Sunday night, Mark J. Lusvardi, Director
of Public Programs at the MTC, spoke to us. His entire message was
Love. We need to have more Love for everyone, so that's what I'm
trying to do. I love you all!
Other than that, it's just been study study study. On Thursday night
we had a little extra time at the residence halls, so me, E. Bartling,
and E. Campbell did a little District Unity exercise, and shaved our
legs. Yes, we're weird. Oh well haha. I see Red, Kyle, and VK almost
every day, and Josh everyday guaranteed (jealous Lex? ;) ) They're all
doing great! We all love being on missions. We're trying to get a
group picture organized, so hopefully that happens.
The Book of Mormon is coming along great! It's alright that a lot of
you won't finish in the next two weeks, but just keep chugging along!
One of my favorite scriptures is Alma 31:5. It says hearing the Word
has a greater effect to cause people to do right than anything else. I
think that includes reading the Word as well. I know  the Book of
Mormon is true, and I can't wait to share it with the people of
Thailand.
Mom - Thanks for the package! The treats were great, especially the
Banana Bread. And thanks for the e-mail too! It sounds like the yard
is lookin' real nice, wish I could see it. And it sounds like you all
had a great time going up to Logan. That's so awesome that Lauren
graduated! It really is crazy to think that she's served a mission AND
graduated college. Time flies! Thanks for the scripture reference! I
love that one. Elder Kunkel already wrote to me about it too, and it's
become one of my favorites. I bought some new garments, and I gotta
get about 4 more pairs. My shirts will be fine, you can't tell much of
a difference. I only need two things. Brown socks, like I said. And I
also need deordorant. A mission's worth. Apparently they only sell the
roll on kind in Thailand, so I'd have to shave my armpits. Not doin'
that! (Legs are one thing, armpits are totally different). Thanks! I
love you!
Dad - It's great to hear from you! Thank you so much for the sports
updates, I've been DYING without them. I heard the Jazz are out (no
big surprise). Oh well, I guess there's next year. Ah, come on Mo!
That's a sad way to go out. He probably shouldn't play next year, walk
out with a little decency. And why can't the Yankees get any more
pitching? They're always so terrible in that area. How's CC doing? Not
going to lie, I hope Travis Wilson takes Wynn's spot. I would love to
come back and see that the Utes have a decent quarterback with
experience, and I really hope they utilize their running backs. How
did the NFL Draft go? Any interesting picks? Glad work is going well!
I don't think I remember Chase Olsen, but maybe if I saw him I'd
recognize him. Hope to hear from you again soon! Love you!
Laur - Thanks for the letter! Sounds like life is pretty boring for
you...oh wait...CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That's so awesome that you
graduated! Crazy how fast time flew. Keep me updated on job hunts and
such. Hope to hear from you again soon! Love ya sis!
Brooke - Once again, thank you for the great letter! It feels like I
know all about how and what your fam is doing. That's sooo sweet that
Linc loves golf lessons. Next Tiger Woods (minus the scandal of
course)! And I didn't know he played T-Ball! Ah I wish I could see
him. You gotta send me some pics of him and Cart. Mom wrote me about
Linc asking Dad if Cart was under his shirt. HILARIOUS! Man, I swear
that kid says the funniest things now that I'm gone. Keep the updates
coming. Love ya!
Car - What up Twin! Thanks for the letter! Glad to hear that your life
is goin' good. How's work going? Friends? Are you feeling any better?
What was the cause of the stomach pain? I heard you and Laur bore your
testimonies Sunday. Me too! Gotta keep the tradition going! Love ya!
Hope to hear from you again soon!
Rest of my family - Love you all! Hope to hear from you soon! I hope
your families are doing well!
Friends - Love you all too! Prest, Lando, how are the mission
preparations coming? Riley, Austin, and Rope. You guys all ready? I'd
love to hear from you about it. I hope to hear from all of you soon!
Well, gotta go! I love you all!
Love, Elder Sharp

1 comment:

  1. umm, YES I'm jealous!! Corb sounds great, it makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete