Wednesday, June 13, 2012

June 10, 2012








Hello! Family and Friends!
How are you all? I am doing so great! Man, did this week go by as fast
for all of you as it did for me? It cruised! So much is going on here,
it's awesome. It sounds like you all had a good week. I'm so glad that
Lee's funeral was good. He definitely deserved it. I didn't even know
him super well, but just from the times that I talked to him when he
would come into the Shop, or at family gatherings, or helping me to go
horse-back riding, or whatever, he was an awesome guy. He definitely
deserved the best. My condolences go out to his family and whoever was
affected. It really is so comforting to know that even though he's
gone right now, it's only for a moment, and then he'll be able to be
with his family for eternity. Eternal Life is the greatest gift that
God can give us, and I'm so glad that I have the opportunity to share
that with these people. I really am starting to love all of the people
of Thailand, and I sincerely want them to have that knowledge so that
they can be happy forever. I'm glad that I have that knowledge.
It sounds like the yard is coming along great! (...but trust me Laur,
everything you said about it was right haha). And the preschool! Laur,
you said you attached some pics...are you sure? I don't think I got
any of them. I wanna see it! Not gonna lie, I am so jealous about not
being able to be at the barbecue yesterday (tonight? Whenever it was
haha). That's one of the things I really miss. We kinda had a barbecue
of our own at a member's in Gumphawaphi on Saturday. You put this pan
that looks like a giant orange juicer  over a pot that has coals in
it, and pour broth around the outside and cook vegetables in the
broth, then cook meat on the part that bulges in the middle. It was so
good! (but liver is kinda sketchy, squid too). Any fun plans for this
next week? When's the family reunion? Keep me updated!
Like I said, a ton happened this week. A lot of lessons and inviting
(we call "tracting" inviting. No word for tracting in Thai). Our
investigators are doing good, but there was some disappointments. We
visited Nooy and her family again on Wednesday. We couldn't stay long
because there wasn't another male there, even though she told us her
husband was coming. Oh well. They're doing good. We just talked about
Book of Mormon, and gave them a Restoration pamphlet. So how her kids
communicate with her...they can understand Thai pretty well and speak
a little too I guess. And she knows a little English, but not enough
to really communicate. But her kids are way smart! The oldest is 12,
speaks English fluently, understands and speaks a little Thai, and I
guess knows some Swiss too. Crazy! And he asks deep questions about
God and stuff, like "How did God appear? Did he have a dad, or did He
just happen?" Ah! Awesome questions, but tough to answer. I hope we
can sit down and teach them for real soon. It's too bad, because they
leave every weekend so they can't come to church, but Nooy said they
might leave less often. Pray for them! Tugta is great! We've taught
her all the lessons and she came to church again, so she looks ready
to be baptized on the 24th. Same for Tim. She is GOLDEN. Seriously,
it's like she's a member already. Taam missed church yesterday because
he had to help his dad or somehting, so that was a major bummer. He
has to wait 4 weeks now, but I 99% sure he'll make it. We taught Tim's
OTHER daughter on Friday. Ha I thought it was the same one because
they look so alike, but I guess not. It was a great lesson and the
spirit was so strong, and Tim and Taam bore their testimonies about
Heavenly Father and Christ and the Book of Mormon, and I really think
it touched her. Hopefully she gets interested. Nan and Nun are tough.
They didn't come to church yesterday, and they live far away, so it's
tough to find a good time to go see them, but we'll keep working on
them. Not sure if they can get baptized before they're 18, but we'll
keep working on them. Other than that, we don't have any major
investigators, but a few that we've taught once or twice. Brees is
tough to get a hold of, and a new girl named Nadin is too. But I think
she'll be really good if we can teach her regularly. We've also had a
few lessons off the invite, so hopefully we can get return
appointments. On Wednesday we went to Khon Kaen for specialty training
(two hours away). Pres. Smith was there and he interviewed all the
greenies. It was really good, but sad because it was the last time
we'll ever see him. Saturday, we went to Gumphawaphi and stayed over
again (Dad, I think the beds are even worse than the Disneyland trip
haha). We had a couple lessons off the invite and placed a lot of
pass-along cards. It's just a small town, and I think it's about to
explode! It's so ready for full-time missionaries again, but I'm glad
we get the opportunity to serve there often. At the Gump Branch on
Sunday, I played the piano. "How firm a foundation", "Nearer my God to
thee", and "Now Let us Rejoice." Of course I messed up bad on the
first song (I'm such a headcase), but the other two went smooth. I'm
glad I have the chance to share my talents, and I'll keep practicing.
In the Udon branch, there were only four male members there...me, E.
Raven, the Branch President, and Bro. Jack (ward mission leader). So
we had to do all of the Sacrament stuff. It's so frustrating that no
guys will come! Something we definitely need to work on, but at least
we have like 40-50 women there haha. The Branch Pres. asked me and E.
Raven to sing in a trio with him during Sacrament meeting 5 mins.
before it started. We sang "Come thou Fount" (yes, I chose the song :)
) in Thai, and it was ROUGH! But it was a cool experience, and I think
it brought the Spirit. After church, the members always eat together,
so I tried some sticky rice and this meat that I thought was beef.
Nope. It was dog. Haha I'm just glad I didn't know what it was at the
time, but now I can say I ate it! I love the food here. I've made a
goal to eat at least one spicy meal a day, and I'm learning to
tolerate it a lot better. I can't wait to come back here with some of
you so you can try it! Thai food really is the best. I love rice! Yeah
Dad, you know what I mean. I'll probably be cooking up some eggs and
rice with you when I come home. The language is coming along pretty
well. I try to speak as much as I can, but it's intimidating because I
don't want to sound stupid, but I guess that's the only way I can
learn. Heavenly Father is definitely helping me out, and I'm
understanding a lot better, so I can contribute in lessons better.
Reading the Book of Mormon in Thai also helps a lot. That's one tip I
give to all potential missionaries. If you get called somewhere with a
foreign language, read the Book of Mormon in that language. That's
when the miracles start to happen. So today for P-Day, we went back to
Gumphawaphi and played with the monkeys! It was sweet. We gave them
bananas, and one of them stole my drink when I wasn't looking! I was
ticked because it was still pretty much all the way full, but then it
exploded all over the monkey when he opened it, so it was pretty
funny. I'll attach some pics.
Mom - I'm glad that your Temple brunch turned out great! It sounds
like you worked really hard for it, so you definietly deserved it. And
of course you built a water table. You can honestly do anything you
want! It's so awesome, I have the coolest mom. And I'm so glad you had
that meeting about member missionary work. Do it! It's so cool when we
take members to our lessons, it really helps the investigator relate
and feel more comfortable with our message. I can't wait to come home
and have the chance to go out with the missionaries to lessons (at
least I hope I get to do that). I know you'll get into it, that's just
the kind of awesome church member and Relief Society pres you are!
Question...could you give me the recipe for maple syrup? Me and the
Elders and Sisters in Udon really want to make some because it would
be a lot cheaper than buying it, and you make the best syrup! Thanks!
I love ya momma :)
Dad - I'm so glad that Lee's funeral was good. He deserved it. And the
scripture was so great! It's such a comfort to know that those who
aren't here anymore are living in peace and happiness. And I'm so glad
you got your card! I was afraid it wouldn't get there in time, but it
sounds like it got there way earlier. Everything that I wrote in it
didn't even describe a fraction of what is actually deserved. You
really are the best example as a father, husband, grandfather, friend,
and priesthood holder that I could have. I love you Dad. I hope you
have a great Birthday and Father's Day! You deserve it! Thanks for the
sports updates. We hear nothing out here. So glad the Yanks are
stepping it up! Are Tex and A-Rod doing better? And the Heat really
had to take it to 7 with the Celtics? Gosh, I'll bet they choke
against the Thunder. What about the Utes? Any news? Keep me posted!
Love you Dad!
Laur - It sounds like your preschool is awesome! Try sending the pics
again, I really wanna see. That's so cool that you're already working
with teachers and getting ready for the school year. When do you go
back up there? And yes, keep saving your money! That would be awesome
if you could come back here! I love Thailand! Love ya Laur!
Car - Thanks for the e-mail twin! Great to hear from you every week. I
can't wait to get the pics and see what's going on at home. Love ya
sis!
Brooke - Thanks for the e-mail! I'm sooo glad that Linc's thing wasn't
anything serious! He's such an awesome dude. And I'm glad that the
kids loved Disneyland, I'll bet they were super surprised. You'll have
to send me some pics! I hope that your gluten thing isn't too bad! Let
me know what happens with that! Bummer that the house didn't work out,
but I hope you can find one soon! That'll be so weird to come home and
have you living somewhere else, but cool! Keep the updates coming.
Love ya Brooke!
Rest of the Family - Congratulations Becca on the engagement! That's
so awesome! And I hope to hear from the rest of you soon and find out
what's going on! I love you all!
Friends - Congrats Austin and Hogan on the farewells! You two will be
great! I hope to hear from some of you soon, just send me a letter or
shoot me an e-mail through Carli or someone else in my fam!
Well, I hope you're doing great! I hope to hear from all of ya soon,
and I'll keep you updated!
Love, Elder Sharp
P.S. Being a missionary really is the greatest thing a 19-year-old kid
could do for himself, and for millions of people that you could
affect.
P.S.S. Could you please forward this e-mail on to
kwoffinden@yahoo.com, jeffr57@msn.com, and cneilso@gmail.com, they are
my MTC branch presideny. Thanks!
P.S.S.S. The food pics are Somtam and Fried Chicken, and Phad Mama Muu
(fried Ramen noodles with pork).

No comments:

Post a Comment