Monday, July 8, 2013

June 3, 2013

Dear Familia (hey, I can speak Spanish too haha!), How's it going out there in good old Utah? Khon Kaen is solid, and getting a lot better. We've finally found some solid investigators, and some ways to work with the branch and members better. The first counselor in the mission presidency, Elder Khanakham and his wife, is currently assigned to Khon Kaen, and he has been a huge help. He's constantly taking the Elders out to visit members and teach investigators, all at his request. I have absolutely no problem with that. Because of him, we've found some great part-member families that we're starting to teach. Sister Taan is doing great, and is still right on track for the 22nd or sooner. We taught her a couple of times this week, and she's keeping all of our commitments and came to church. I'm not worried about her at all. We also got two really good investigators on Friday. We did switch-offs that day, and I worked with Elder Ellsworth in his area, while Elder Angkham and Elder Quinn (the two greenies) worked in mine. We actually kind of shared the work, both teaching the other area's investigators or LA's at some point or another. Anyway, we went with Elder Khanakham to visit the home of the first counselor in the branch presidency. He had set an appointment for us to teach his 18 year old daughter who is the only member of their family who isn't a member. The family was LA for a while, so she didn't know much, but she's going to be solid if we can teach her around her school schedule. Her name is Pinky (seriously). The other two Elders went and visited a member who was baptized around a year ago, and her husband was there. They introduced the gospel, and now he's awesome! He came to church yesterday, and we're going to see him again tonight. His name is Ari. Saturday was an exciting and rough day at the same time. I was able to interview someone for baptism for the first time. Her name is Sis. Daw, one of the other Khon Kaen Elders' investigators. It was a really spiritually uplifting experience, and she passed easily. Basically just an hour of listening to testimony and bearing testimony. She'll be baptized on the 8th of this month. The rest of the day was rough. All of our plans and back-up plans fell through, so we just tried to go to the market and talk to people. Didn't work, so we decided we'd go back to the house and call formers for the last hour. Ok, Mom, don't freak out, but on our way back home I got hit by a car. Well, my bike got hit. The car was waiting to pull out of the street, and it had paused, so I figured the person had seen me. Nope. Pulled out and hit the middle of my bike with the fender. God was really watching over me, because somehow I moved with the bike, and caught myself. Didn't even fall over. That was a miracle. Bike was a little jacked, so it's getting fixed right now. I walked over to the car and this terrified girl in her 20's gets out and starts trying to talk to me in English saying how sorry she was. I just smiled and told her everything was fine. She wouldn't believe me for a minute, but finally accepted it. Haha I wish I would've been thinking straight and gave her a pass-along-card. Well, Elder Angkham didn't know I got hit, so he was long gone before I could yell his name, so I started walking. He finally gets back to me, and I guess a dog bit him in the pants on the way back. Crazy night! But we're all good. Sunday was great. Had a meeting about how to grow priesthood strength with all of the ward leaders after the block. Got some solid plans made. Finally made syrup last night! So good, especially with deep-fried french toast. Being in Thailand, I've realized that cooking oil is a great thing. Zone conference is this coming week. It'll be in Khon Kaen for the Khon Kaen and Udon zones, so we've spent most of the day cleaning the church. Weather here is rainy everyday...yuck. 
How's it going back home? Memorial day sounded awesome. Eggs and hamsauce?
Well, gotta go. The Church is True!
Love, Elder Sharp

No comments:

Post a Comment