Tuesday, September 4, 2012

August 13, 2012











Hello Fam and Friends! Sawadii Khrab! How is everyone? It sounds like
you had a fantastic week, as did I. This week flew by...again. What's
new? This transfer has gone by way faster than the first one. A lot
happened this week. I don't know if I'll be able to go day by day and
cover everything, so I'll just stick to the major events. So about Um.
Tuesday morning, she called us and asked if we could teach her at the
church right then (it was about 11:00). We biked over there and taught
her about the Restoration. She asked a ton of great questions, and
Pres. Sxa helped us explain some stuff. He is probably the best
teacher I know. He's 28, the District President, and is in charge of
the Church Education System in the Isan and northern Thailand, along
with being a Seminary and Institute teacher. So great. Anyway, while
teaching her, it really made me realize how much more appealing this
church is than a lot of others. She told us how she had looked at some
other Christian churches and what they taught about. Every church
teaches some good things I guess, but our church is really the only
one that focuses on being happy in this life and the next,
particularly with our families. I'm so grateful for that knowledge,
and couldn't imagine my life without our great family. Anyway, after
we finished the lesson, the bad news came. She was moving back in with
her mom that day...in Nong Khai. I was so sad, I really wanted to keep
teaching her. But the good thing is that she still wants to keep
learning with the other Elders up there, and since they're in our
District, I'll be able to find out if she's progressing. Tuesday
night, we went to Kumps to teach English. 21 people (and that's
without a few of our regulars)! It's growing well, and will continue.
Thursday, I switched off with Elder Wright, and worked in my area. We
had a couple of lessons flake on us which was a bummer, but all
around, it was a good day. He's my Phii's Phii (2 groups ahead of me),
so he's only on his fourth transfer. Working with him made me realize
how fast my language is growing. I'm still not super-great, but I can
function. At 1:00, we met with a lady named Mew, and she brought her
sister. They're both in their late 30's or early 40's. We explained
prayer and the importance of the Book of Mormon and challenged them to
read it. I think Mew is going to be an awesome investigator (not sure
about her sister). We met a second time on Saturday and taught the
Restoration, and she seems totally receptive to the message. She came
to church for about 15 minutes, then left, I think because her little
boy was being so wild. I hope she keeps learning and growing. That
night, we taught Taam. He still smokes everyday. We challenged him to
pray every time he has the urge, please pray for him. Friday, we
switched back, and all 6 Elders went to Sizzler. Yes Mom, we do enjoy
going to eat some American food sometime haha. We actually go fairly
often, usually when we're celebrating something or whatever. The main
reason we go is for the all you can eat Salad bar. It's not as good as
back in America, but it'll do. Saturday was very eventful. We got up
early and made our way out to an investigators house by 8:30. We had
to take a Songtaw out about 30 mins., walk for 20, hike over some tall
train tracks, and walk about 10 more. But it's worth it! The guy's
name is Chai. I don't know if I've mentioned him before. We met with
him a couple times when I first got here, but then dropped him for a
bit because he was always busy. But we had a good lesson with him
about the Gospel of Christ. The only problem is church attendance. He
wants to come, but works on Sundays. That's probably the most
frustrating excuse. Work on Sundays kills. I wish people could just
realize that Heavenly Father will take care of them if they faithfully
keep the commandments. Then we went back to the church and met with
Mew (as I mentioned). We stayed at the church pretty much the entire
rest of the day helping the branch get ready for a celebration they
were having for...the Thai Mother's Day! Happy Mother's Day Momma! I
love you! Anyway, we got to be in a special production of the battle
between the Lamanites and the Army of Helaman (as you will see in the
attached Pics). I was a lamanite warrior. It was a good time. Sunday
was the best! 6 new members between the two branches, and 6 new
members in Heavenly Father's Kingdom! The service was awesome, and
they all looked so happy! I couldn't have asked for two better
investigators. Today is just chill. Probably gonna clean the house a
little in preparation for transfers! I really hope I stay in Udon. I'm
finally getting comfortable here and loving the branch. I think that's
what'll happen, I'll find out tomorrow. I'm excited to see who my new
comp is. I'm not a greeny anymore (or won't be at least in 3 days)! I
had a great time with E. Raven, and I'm ready for the next chapter in
my mission.

Love you all! The church is true!
Elder Sharp

No comments:

Post a Comment