Sunday, September 23, 2012

September 10, 2012

Don't you agree?! Jordan Wynn is the best QB in the nation by far! Now
that we got that out of the way...Hello Fam and Friends! How are you
all? I'm doing pretty good here in Buriram. This transfer is flying
by! I'm on the fourth week. These next few weeks will probably fly by,
and then I'll be on my fourth transfer. Crazy! Anyway, this week was
so so. Buriram is a tough place to be a missionary. On Tuesday, we saw
Cartoon again. He, unfortunately, did not read or pray, although he
claimed he tried to a little. He just couldn't remember anything. Kind
of a bummer, I really hope he just tries. That's all anyone has to
do...just try with a sincere desire to know, and the Gospel would
change their lives. Wish everyone knew that. We're going to go and see
him today or tomorrow, so I'll let you know how that goes in my next
letter. We didn't get to see Ooy this week because she was out of town
until Thursday (and we had switch-offs that day), and then left again
for another few days on Friday. We didn't see Mii either. Tuesday
night, it was pouring, so only a few people were there when we started
English class. Have I ever told you how much Thai people hate the
rain? They absolutely despise it! They will do anything to stay out of
it, and that's one of the most popular excuses we here when they don't
come to church or a lesson haha. You'd think with how much it rains
(it pours EVERDAY, especially in the rainy season, which is right now)
that they would be used to it. Kinda funny. Anyway, we were letting a
couple new people introduce themselves at the class, and then come the
20 little kids marching in. It was actually pretty funny. Me and E.
Segura took the adults upstairs, and Sis. Rose and a member girl named
Dengmo (means Watermelon) taught the little kids. It was a good
lesson, hopefully we can get some investigators from it. Wednesday
wasn't a very good day. We went inviting and got nothing, and then
tried to visit some LA's, but none of them were home. It was a tough
day, but we're working hard at least. That night the Surin Elders came
over, and then me and Elder Hunsaker headed back to Surin that night
for switchoffs on Thursday. E. Hunsaker is a greeny on moves 1. I'm
only on moves 3. A 1 and a 3 together. Oh boy. We were nervous, but
had a pretty good day lined up, so I was excited too to be able to
lead. We taught a good lesson on the Restoration to a recent convert,
and then me, E. Hunsaker, the member kid that helped us teach, and the
RC all went over to another investigators house to teach her. We ended
up having a 1 hour discussion on prayer and faith. The girl tried to
argue that Christianity and Buddhism were both true (?), but the
members bore really good testimonies and I think the Spirit touched
her. Later that night, we taught a guy and his two sons about the Book
of Mormon. The guy was a little drunk, but his sons were totally into
it, and they were only like 12 and 10. Awesome lesson. That day was a
miracle. I felt like I could speak and understand really well. I know
for a fact that it was only through Heavenly Father's help that I was
able to do it. No matter what challenge we are faced with, if we rely
on Him, he will always be there to help us. Great switchoff. The next
day, E. Segura, E. Adams, and the Zone leaders came to Surin for
District meeting which was great, got some great tips for inviting,
and apparently Thailand is really close from going from 1 stake to at
least 3. Exciting news! Then me and E. Segura went back to Buriram
with the zone leaders. I went with E. Siperley (ZL) and the branch
pres. to visit a member, and then went inviting but didn't get
anything. Saturday was a long day. Basically just long planning. But
it was also a really sad day. We went to visit the hospital because
Sis. Bad's grandson has a murmur in his heart. That was one of the
saddest places I've been in. About 50 sick babies crammed into one
space. I hated it in there. I just wish I could help them all. Sis.
Bad's grandson will find out in December if he needs surgery. Sunday
was good in the beginning (church and sacrament). The afternoon was
not so good. Tried to visit, and nobody was home. So frustrating!
Please pray for this area! We don't have any really strong
investigators right now, and we haven't been able to find any lately.
Something's gotta give, right?  Just need to work hard, stay humble,
and trust in the Lord.
Sounds like everything is going great at home (Saturday doesn't
count)! Oh, and I've been out more than 6 months...wow. Really? One
quarter of my mission is gone, just like that. Crazy!
Well, gotta go. Love you all! The Church is True!
Love, Elder Sharp

No comments:

Post a Comment