Monday, January 7, 2013

December 16, 2012

Hey Family and Friends (and new Sister Missionary), how are you all?
I'm doing good here in Buriram. But...it is my last day in Buriram. We
got the call at about 7:30 this morning that I am moving. I'm a little
sad, I will miss some of the members and my investigators here, but
I'm also ready to move on to the next challenge. And hopefully that
challenge is in Bangkok haha. But I have a feeling that I'll be coming
back out to the Isan. I'll let you know next...Tuesday when I Skype
with you! So I will Skype on Tuesday, and it will be Monday night,
Christmas Eve, for you. I'll try to be on between 8 and 9 in the
morning here, so it'll be 6 or 7 there. I can't wait! So this week was
another very busy one, but it flew by again. The only thing that made
it feel long was having to wait to find out where my Twin is going!
Sacramento, Cali won't know what hit them! I couldn't be more excited
for you Car. That mission is perfect for you, and you'll get to learn
Spanish along with it. That's good, because then you can teach it to
me once we're home ;) And Feb 27! Get ready, it's coming right up! I
won't even have been out a year by the time you leave, so you'll get
home less than six months after I do. Crazy! I'll be praying for you!
So anyway, this week was busy. Tuesday, we were able to see Coco and
talk to him a little more about the Book of Mormon. He (and most of
the people we talk to) said he didn't read that much because it's hard
to understand, because it uses the higher form of the language that
they don't recognize, which is understandable. We counseled him to
just keep pushing through it, coupled with a lot of prayer, and he'll
start to understand. We also committed him to read 3 Nephi 11. That
night, I had my last English class in Buriram. Nobody new came,
unfortunately, but it was fun. It was Elder Christensen's and Sis.
Dangmo's birthday, so we sang and celebrated a little bit. Wednesday,
we had District Meeting, and then...more switchoffs! Yeah, I'm kind of
sick of switch-offs ha. I went to Surin with Elder Hunsaker. We went
and taught the brother and sis-in-law of a member, which went really
well, and then visited a less-active. We also went to see a lady who
is making scripture and PMG cases for the Surin Elders. We were going
to have her make them for us to with the silk we bought at the silk
village, but E. Christensen called and said Sis. Nong in Buriram could
do it a lot better for a lot cheaper. I'll show you them when they're
done, they should be sweet! Then we went back to the Surin house and
crashed. No Mom, we don't always stay in hotels. Usually all of the
Elders will crash at the missionary apartment in the area. We only
stay at a hotel when needed, and they're suprisingly very nice. But
yes, very cheap which is good. Everything here is cheaper. We eat out
for every meal except Sundays. Thursday, I went back to Buriram with
Elder Christensen, and our day kind of fell apart. We had about 4
lessons lined up, and all of them cancelled. Major bummer, but we did
get to visit to less-active members, Bro. Got and Bro. Luya. They were
both really good visits, and I think they had an effect on them both.
Friday was a pretty rough day with a few more cancellations. We were
able to meet with Coco again. He read! He got through 3 Nephi 11 and
understood enough of it, so we committed him to keep going. We also
taught the Plan of Salvation (Car, when you teach it, I would
recommend breaking it in half, because that is a dang long lesson to
teach at one time). It took us about an hour. But he asked great
questions and understood clearly. Saturday, we taught zero lessons.
The entire day was devoted to preparing for Frank's (Sis. Nong's son
who just turned 8) baptism. We had to make a program, and trust me
that's very hard when all of the computer programs are in Thai and we
have to type everything in Thai. But don't worry, I cranked it out! We
then went to the church to clean the font and set everything up, and
by this time were were running out of time. It was a very nice
surprise when we showed up and the font and church were spotless.
Thank you Sis. Dangmo! She's probably the member I'll miss the most
here, she helps so much! So we got the water going and then went and
ate. The service started at 6 and went really smoothly. Gosh, we had
more people there than we usually have at church. Hey, and my first
time baptizing someone! And it wasn't even an investigator haha. It
was an awesome experience, and the Spirit was really strong. I'm very
honored that he chose me to do it. Sunday was pretty good, pretty much
just said good-bye to people since it was pretty solid that I was
moving. Today is just packing and chilling.
So how's it going there? Still cold, because it's around 95 outside
right now here. Is the house all set up? I want pics! And I want pics
of the call opening. Can't wait to talk to you next week!
Well, gotta go! Can't wait to talk to you next week! I love you all,
and the Church is True!
Love, Elder Sharp












No comments:

Post a Comment