Monday, January 7, 2013

December 9, 2012

Hey Family and Friends! How are you all? I'm doing good here. List
last week was absolutely crazy. I'm super tired, but it was a good
one. I can't believe that I'm already e-mailing you for the 5th time
this transfer. This one flew by! This is my last full week, and I
wouldn't be surprised if I moved away from Buriram. Who knows though,
anything could happen. Anyway, I spent 4 1/2 days out of my area this
week. Monday, we were able to go and visit Pa Lek. He's doing pretty
good, and was really excited for the up-coming District Conference in
Ubon that happened Saturday and Sunday. Tuesday was a good day. We
were able to meet with Isari in the morning. She only had about 15
minutes to talk before she had to leave and do some work, so we kept
the lesson simple and talked about the commandment of praying. I
actually kind of liked having to keep it short, because it forced us
to have to stick with the basics of sharing and teaching through
scriptures, and bearing testimony (which is technically how we should
teach all of the time). Later that day, we were able to meet with Em
again, the kid that me and E. Kunz found last week. It was a great
lesson. He said he had tried praying a few times, and felt good each
time he did. He still isn't sure if there's a God or not, but
committed to keep praying and start reading the Book of Mormon. He'll
get baptized in the future for sure. It's going to be tough to meet in
the next few weeks because he has a bunch of school stuff, but we'll
keep at him. English class that night was good again. One new person
came, and 3 of the 5 new ones from last week came back, so I wasn't
complaining. We just didn't have two Priesthood holders there, so we
couldn't split up and teach. Ha it seems like that always happens. If
we have new people, we have no priesthood. If we have priesthood, we
have no new people. Oh well, we'll try for it this week. Wednesday, we
did long-planning, and then I went to Surin for switch-offs. I was
with Elder Hansen. We went and did some service, went to a members
home for their home dedication, and then went inviting. We tried this
tactic out that E. Christensen said his uncle had suggested. It's
called the "Hour of Power." Basically you teach a lesson to a
member-family, tell them you're going inviting for the next hour, and
ask them to pray for you out loud or in their hearts. So that's what
we did at the home dedication. And it worked! Miracles are awesome. We
found this kid named Bong. He instantly let us in, and was very open
to our message. A great new investigator for the Surin Elders. The
next day, we were able to visit a couple of less-active members, and
teach one other lesson. It was a long day, but I think we got some
good things done. Thursday night, E. Christensen and E. Hunsaker met
us in Surin and we all stayed the night there. The next day, Friday,
we had to be to the bus station at 6:30 and go to Ubon. I'm sick of
riding buses, just saying. Friday was Zone Conference. It was awesome.
Since it was Christmas (and we had some money left in the budget),
Pres. Senior decided to make it a little better for all of us. All of
the missionaries met at a mall in Ubon and ate at a really nice
Japanese buffet. Then we all met at the church and had the conference.
It was focused on Christmas. We were taught about finding by the zone
leaders, and then Pres. and Sis. Senior gave Christmas messages. Then
we sang Christmas carols, and watched a video and had testimony
meeting to end it. It was a very spiritual experience, and my favorite
Zone conference so far. After the conference was over, we all went
back to the mall and went bowling! So legit! I got third highest
(trust me, that's an accomplishment). Ha definitely brought some Zone
unity. We all then went to a farang restaurant and had all you could
eat burgers and pizza. I was absolutely stuffed by the end of the day.
To end the night, we went back to the church and lit off lanterns
(like the ones in Tangled). Way sweet! Awesome day for sure. At first
the Zone leaders were going to make us get on a bus back to Buriram
that night, but they decided to show some mercy to us and let us stay
the night and have us go back in the morning. Well morning came
around, and they decided it was a waste of time to go back to Buriram,
and then back to Ubon that night for District Conference the next day,
so they had us stay there. We went to the church and set up for the
Saturday conference meetings, and then me, E. Hansen, and E. Redd
(senior missionary) got on our bikes and went to go and find some
less-actives in Ubon. We went to the first guy and his daughter said
he wouldn't be back until 3, so then we biked out way far to find
another kid, and his mom said he'd moved to Bangkok 7 months ago. So
then we went back to the first guy, and the sister missionaries were
just pulling out of his street after having a good chat with him.
Sisters beat us to him! Oh well, at least he got a visit. By that
time, E. Redd needed to get back to the church, so we chilled there
for a bit. Later in the night, me and E. Hunsaker went with E. Kunz to
visit an LA and an investigator. The LA wasn't home, but the
investigator was, so we had a good chat with him. Sunday was awesome!
The District Conference was great, and Isari came with Bro. Golf! She
split right after the meeting, so I didn't get a chance to talk with
her, but I really hoped she liked it. Golf wasn't able to get the
Melchizedek Priesthood because he missed the birthday deadline by 3
days, but he'll get it next time for sure. I'm just glad that he'll be
able to baptize his mom! Coco didn't go, and neither did Mai, so we'll
have to move their dates unfortunately. Pa Lek didn't go either, even
though he was so excited! And his wife even went. What the? He really
needs to come back to church. We left pretty quick after the meeting
and came to Surin. That's where I am right now. We're going to a silk
village today, and then back to Buriram.
Sounds like everything at home is going good! I can't wait to hear
where you're going, Car! This next week is going to kill me having to
wait for it (this last week was rough for the same reason)! Sounds
like the Christmas party was good, and that you got some nice
snowfall. Yeah, it's still in the 90's here, but I'm not going to
complain this time. I'd much rather be hot than cold. I'll let you
know what's happening next week, and I can't wait to talk to you in 15
days (or around that, still not sure when I'll be Skyping).
Well, gotta go! HIt me up next week! The Church is True! Love you all!
Love, Elder Sharp

No comments:

Post a Comment