Monday, January 7, 2013

December 3, 2012

Hey Family and Friends, how's it going?! It's going pretty good here
in Buriram. Can you believe that it's December already? And (you said
it Kristin) I've been out almost 9 months! Crazy!!! The time is
seriously flying by, I'm almost on the downhill. This last week was
another very busy, but good one. Yes Mom, it is much better to be busy
than not. It makes the time fly, and it makes the work so much more
enjoyable when you're always doing something to bring someone closer
to Christ. I'm over half way done with this transfer, and speaking of
transfers, the transfer date got changed from the 20th to the 18th. I
can't believe I've almost spent three transfers in Buriram. I'm
thinking I'm going to move, but anything could happen. If I do, I'll
miss this place. Anyway, like I said, this week was pretty solid.
Monday, we tried to go and visit Chade, the guy with that had his wife
and really young baby that we met last week. We knocked on the door,
and when he opened it, all he did was say "I'm Buddhist" and close the
door. Rejected! It was a major bummer, and there was no chance getting
him to talk to us that night. But at least we planted some seeds for
the future. He lived in Bro. Bob's neighborhood, the one with all of
the kids that follow us around. They all know and love Bro. Bob, so as
soon as we show up and talk to him, they love us too. So they just
follow us around. It's actually pretty funny.  Tuesday, we were able
to finally go and hand out some more English fliers. We went to our
usual spot...the University, because that's the only place with a
large crowd of people. It's so funny to see people's reactions when
they find out we can speak Thai. That afternoon we were able to meet
with Coco. He's an awesome investigator. We taught the Restoration,
and he asked a ton of questions. He's already pretty good with some
Christian beliefs because he goes to a Protestant school, but there's
plenty of things that we've had to clear up. He'll progress pretty
easily though. English class that night was awesome! We got five new
people (that doesn't sound like that much, but trust me, it's pretty
phenomenal for Buriram)! And two of them weren't even from handing out
fliers, they somehow saw the sign on the front of the church that's
pretty much hidden from view by trees and electricity wires. It was a
good class, and just saying, it's hilarious to watch Thai people play
Simon Says. Wednesday, we tried to go and see Isari in the morning,
but the member that we had planned to come couldn't find the place, so
she had to leave before we got a chance to teach. Major bummer, but we
planned to get a lesson with her the next morning. Almost everyone
cancelled on us that day except a less-active member. His name is Jam,
and he has a lot of health problems, so he hadn't been to church in a
long time. But you can totally tell that it's just because he can't,
not because he doesn't want to. The guy has a ton of faith and a
strong love for Christ. It was a good visit. That night, we got to
celebrate! It was a Buddhist holiday called Loy Graton. It's huge all
over the country. It's basically a holiday where they "thank the
rivers" for all that they do for them. Anyway, we got permission to
take the night off and hang out down at the park where all the stuff
was going on. During Loy Graton, they make these little boats out of
some kind of giant root, leaves, flowers, etc. and then put candles in
the middle of them and set them out on the "river" (I think it's
actually a sewage pond, but whatever). They also do the sky lanterns
like in Tangled. It all looks awesome! Me and Elder Christensen got to
make our own boats (with the help of Bro. Pian and Sis. Dangmo) and
send them off. Don't worry, we weren't doing any Buddhist rituals (I
hope), we got permission from Pres. Senior. Sweet experience!
Thursday, we did get to meet with Isari in the morning. We taught her
about keeping the Sabbath day Holy, because getting investigators to
church is the thing that we've been struggling with the most lately.
She kept trying to make excuses as to why she couldn't go this week,
but we finally got her to commit. That afternoon, we got to meet with
Coco again as well (I wish we could meet with him and Isari together).
We basically talked all about the Book of Mormon, and it was another
great lesson. Later that night, we FINALLY got to meet with Mai. We
also taught her about the Sabbath day. It's sad, but we're just not
seeing much of a desire from her. We're going to keep trying, but
it'll be tough. She refuses to go to church if her mom isn't there.
All she needs to do is go once and have a good experience, and I know
she'll be hooked. Friday, the Zone Leaders came here and we did
switch-offs. First we had a District meeting that was taught by them,
and then we split. Me and Elder Kunz were together. He is an awesome
missionary. Him and Elder Christensen are in the same MTC group, and
they're very similar. Anyway we went inviting behind the church, and
came to a little meat-on-a-stick cart. Within 5 minutes, E. Kunz had
the kid that was there sitting down for a lesson with us on the
street. E. Kunz was awesome to watch. He tied the kids life in with
the Restoration and the Godhead very well. The kid (named Em) agreed
to meet with me and E. Christensen again tomorrow. That night, we were
able to go and see an LA as well. It was not a pleasant experience.
When we got there, he wasn't home, and when he did show up, he was
very drunk. We'd been talking to another member that lives with him,
Bro. Sion, and when the LA showed up, the Spirit was gone in an
instant. We had been there for a bit already, so we left pretty quick.
I did not feel good at all being there. That day, Elder Christensen
and Elder Siperly were finally able to go and see Mii! She had really
been in Bangkok and got back the day before. She committed to go to
church on Sunday. One thing that Elder Kunz taught me that day was
this: I was asking him how for any tips he could give me on speaking
better and teaching better, because it showed me how inadequate I was
when I watched him teach. He said "Just trust in Christ. If you trust
in yourself, you'll fail every time. But with Him, you can never
fail." It's so simple, and we've all heard that before, but it really
stuck with me that day. Saturday was not that great of a day. Everyone
we had planned cancelled on us (or just wasn't home when we went to
teach), so we wasted a lot of time going from house to house looking
for them. Major bummer. Sunday was alright, but not a single
investigator showed up. Not Mii, not Coco, not Isari, not Mai, not
anyone. We were very disappointed. But at least Bro. Jam was able to
muster the strength to come. Oh and something else that's pretty cool.
Sis. Nong's 8-year-old son, Frank, is getting baptized in a couple of
weeks and he asked me to baptize him. It'll be an awesome experience!
Haha my first time baptizing someone on my mission, and it's not an
investigator. Today is just pretty chill. Just hanging out at the
house. I feel like my language is coming along pretty well, along with
my teaching. I'm definitely trying to put all my trust in Christ now.
We weren't able to meet with Bancha or Suwit, which was a bummer. But
Golf is going to get the Melchizedek Priesthood at District conference
this coming Sunday!
Sounds like getting ready for the holidays is in full swing there. I
can't believe Christmas is so close (especially when it's in the 90's
outside). Plus, Buddhist people don't celebrate Christmas, so there's
no decorations or anything out here. Man I'm going to miss the work
and family Christmas parties and what not. But I am pretty excited to
have my first mission Christmas. I'll probably end up going tracting
that day haha.
Well, gotta go! Can't wait to talk to you in a few weeks! I'll let you
know when we'll skype as soon as I get the info.
I love you all! The Church is True!
Love, Elder Sharp








No comments:

Post a Comment