Sunday, April 28, 2013

April 16, 2013

Thonburi. Yep, I'm still here. Pulling 4! It came as a complete shock to me. President Senior called me on Tuesday night and told me that we would be getting another set of missionaries in Thonburi. I was a little confused why he was telling me and not Elder King, so I asked and he said I would be staying here, with Elder King. So I don't have a greenie. I was a little bummed that I didn't get to be a trainer, but I'm over it and ready to go. It's a blessing to be able to continue working with Elder King in Thonburi. I'm going hard to the paint and making sure that our current investigators baptized, so that will be a blessing to see. Oh, I am also no longer the District Leader. One of the new missionaries that came to Thonburi is senior to me (has about 3 months left), so Pres. Senior asked my permission to give the calling to him. I'm totally fine with that though, I know I'll have more opportunities to serve in the future. So this last week was pretty crazy. I almost started packing a few times at the beginning of the week, but now I'm glad I didn't. It was funny at English class on Tuesday, because it was obvious that a few of the members had a "going-away" gift for me. You should have heard them when I told them I was staying haha. But hey, I got a nice new skinny-tie out of it (I'm all about the skinny-ties now). Wednesday, we had planned on preparing Elder King to kind of run the area for a while, but since that was out, we had to figure out some productive things to do. Luckily, Bro. Banjud called us and asked if we would go visit him. It's always good to strengthen the members. That night we also visited an LA that I had never met before, Bro. Ponyut. He seems really nice and awesome, but maybe too much so. I had committed him to come to church for the last six weeks that I would be here. He didn't make it this last Sunday. Hopefully he does a little better at keeping commitments in the future. Thursday - Transfers day - was pretty crazy. We had to be up super early so that E. King could renew his visa, and after that we had to sit at the church for 3 hours until the meeting started. I realized that there were quite a few people who got called to train who weren't anymore, so it made me feel a little better. Anyway, my Pa is gone. Elder Raven went home. And I am now as far in my mission as he was when he started training me (goes fast huh?). The two new Elders that got called to Thonburi are Elder Buss (DL), and Elder Pyne (his greenie). They're good guys, and I'll enjoy working with them. Elder Buss has some great ideas of how to help the ward grow. We've decided not to split the area in half, but to work together basically. There'll be some bridges we'll have to cross when we get to them, but once we get a system figured out, I think it'll be great. Conference was awesome! Again. I had to watch a couple of the sessions in Thai (Saturday and Sunday morning), but they were still good, and the English sessions were phenomenal. My favorite had to have been Elder Holland's. I loved how he said that we first have to keep the ground that we've already gained, and then recognize our weaknesses. That's the way we show our faith. And that bible story was the perfect example. I also loved Elder Cook's, and everyone else's references to personal peace. That's something that I've really wanted some help on lately. All in all, it was awesome, and I had a ton of questions perfectly answered. So this past weekend was the Thai New Year called Songkran. Easily put, it's a 3-day, country-wide water fight. Period. We were allowed to play  on Monday, and man was it fun. A group of missionaries and members went downtown yesterday, bought big super-soakers, and then destroyed people. I only get one, so I had to go big and get the strongest gun. No regrets there. I owned people. Everyone and everything was soaked. Super tired (and also sunburned) today, but it was worth it. My investigators are doing good. We really only have two right now, Dukadan and NamKeng. We met with Dukadan last Thursday and taught tithing and fasting, so she's all done with the missionary lessons. She just has to decide to be baptized. I can't wait to talk to her and find out how her weekend at home was and if she read the BofM in the wat. NamKeng is apparently hooked on video games, so he didn't come to church or meet with us. Frustrating, but we're meeting with him today, so it'll be fine. Please pray that we find some more investigators! 

Hey sorry, yesterday was a little crazy, so I got to come back and finish today. Well, we saw Dukadan as we were waiting for a bus, and talked to her about how her weekend at home went. Apparently her family is pretty mad about the whole situation. She didn't really do any of the Buddhist ordinances though, just bowed to a monk because her mom was freaking out in the middle of the wat. So I'm actually really happy. We're going to meet with her on Saturday, hopefully she just decides to be baptized. Please pray for her!
Well, gotta go! I love you all, and the Church is True!
Love, Elder Sharp







No comments:

Post a Comment