Sunday, April 28, 2013

April 8, 2013

Hey Krob Krua (family), what is going on? I'm doing pretty good here in Thonburi, winding down what is most likely my last week here. I let you know where I am next week! To start off with, no I haven't watched conference yet. We get it this coming Sunday. From what I've read, I'm looking forward to Cook's and Uchtdorf's talks. Gotta love conference. I really love it more out here than I ever have before. Anyway, this last week was a pretty dang solid one. We had a ton of lessons, and a lot of success as well. Nothing super "exciting" happened, but it was my favorite week so far as a senior comp in the sense that we helped our investigators out a ton, and a couple of them are really close to baptism. Tuesday, we finally went and cleaned our old house completely (disgusting), turned in the keys, and were OUT of there. I never want to go back to that place again. Our new house is coming along pretty good. We have most everything organized and put away, just a few more things, but it'll go fast. On Tuesday night we had a great English class. Last week at church, two twin 28-ish girls came to church, because that was one of the homework options that I had given out the week before at English. I introduced the Gospel to the one that came to english again, Sis. Mon, and then we taught her again on Wednesday morning. Her biggest concern was breaking commandments that she didn't know existed, so we taught her the way to pray and to repent, and committed her to start. She didn't come to church yesterday, and she might have given us a wrong phone number, but she really did seem sincerely interested, so hopefully it was an accident and we can talk to her again tomorrow at English. Wednesday night, we were finally able to meet with NamKeng (Ice), Soda's younger brother, again. We explained the Godhead and prayer, and committed him to pray. He said that he's not sure at all if he believes in God, and he's skeptical about changing religions since his mom hasn't changed yet. But don't worry, we're going to baptize his mom, too, so I think he'll progress pretty quickly. Especially since his sister is a member and good example to him now. Thursday was, for the most part, spent at the house. We spent most of the time long-planning for this week, which went a little longer than usual since I had to make sure Elder King is ready to go with the area if I do leave. We did a little more organizing as well, but were able to get out of the house that night. We taught Dukadan with a member named Brother Wiin. He's a less-active, but he is awesome. It's so weird to me. Every time that I visit or teach with or talk to a less-active, they always exude the strongest testimony. He was the perfect person to have help teach Dukadan. It's just sad that those LA's won't act on their testimonies and follow Christ 100%. Anyway, we taught the Law of Chastity, and then spent a ton of time discussing baptism. She's going home this weekend for a holiday, and she said that her entire family will be going to a wat (Buddhist temple) to worship. We asked her what she was going to do, and she said she was going to just go and sit in there (which is fine) and read the Book of Mormon (which is the best thing that I've ever heard). We were so stoked! Though she is a little nervous about how her family is going to take it, but she's finally willing to take a stand for what she has come to know is true, which is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Well, after she told us that, I figured that moment would be the best time to commit her to a baptismal date. She still wouldn't give in to that, so I explained that her reading the Book of Mormon at the wat is pretty much already changing religions, she just has to get in the water now. It made sense to her, but she still said she wants to wait until after she goes home. Probably the best lesson we've had with her yet though, the Spirit there was incredible. Friday we were able to take Soda with us, along with Bro. Ding (Elder's quorum pres.) and go and teach Fuse. Man, she's hard to read. When you ask her questions, she gives awesome answers, but the rest of the time she just sits there with a bored looking face. We don't really know what to do, and she's not reading or praying very consistently either. I know the testimony is there and that it would sky-rocket if she would just keep the commitments, but SHE has to do it. If anyone has any advice on how to help her, let me know. Saturday, we taught NamKeng again and had a pretty good lesson on the Restoration. He committed to go to church the next day, and he did (although he disappeared during the 3rd hour, and then reappeared after church was over). Saturday night, we went and had a meeting with  Bishop Arun and Bro. Bay (WML). We presented Pres. Senior's goals to them, asked for their help, and then asked how we can help them. I think it really helped build our relationship with the bishop, and I think things are going to start cruising along even faster here in Thonburi. Sunday was absolutely awesome. I wore my new suit and Easter tie (I don't know if I want to wear the suit that much. I mean, I would only wear it on Sundays, but should I just save it until I get home?). They went very well together. 3 investigators were there: Dukadan, Soda, and Fuse. It was Fast Sunday for us since we didn't have conference, and the Bishop had me bear my testimony first since I'm probably leaving (he didn't tell everyone that though, he's good like that. It's never a good idea here to tell the ward you're leaving). I bore it on Christ and repentance, and the Spirit was very strong. I hope it touched someone. After church, we taught Fuse about the Law of Tithing and Fasting. She's still quiet, but she accepted them. We taught Dukadan after that, and were planning on teaching the same thing, but didn't get to it. She's planning on giving an English Book of Mormon to her French friend on Tuesday, and wanted to know how to talk about it and the 10 Commandments in English a little bit. I'm totally down for some Missionary Work! We also had to explain to her how the Pope is a good guy, but has no real meaning in the Kingdom of God, just Thomas S. Monson and the Quorum of the Twelve. That led to Priesthood power, and by the end the member that we brought in was explaining about Priesthood blessings for the sick. She was ALL over that since she has been sick now for a few weeks. The Elders Quorum president annointed, and I had the opportunity to bless. It was a special moment and the Spirit was strong. She definitely has the faith to make it work. Elder King asked for a blessing as well right after that since he's sick, and Dukadan asked for permission to stay and watch. Me and Bro. Ding switched roles, and it was a great experience the second time (and Bro. Ding's first time blessing). Today is just chill, writing letters, napping, etc. Transfers this week! I can't wait to get my greenie, and he's going to get to meet his grandpa (Elder Raven) once before E. Raven goes home. It would be totally fine to stay in Thonburi, but I'm ready for another area and adventure as well, whatever the Lord wants to bless me with. So this coming weekend (12-14) is a Thai holiday called Songkran. Basically, it's just a giant, country-wide water festival. We get to play in it for one day, and then have to (try to) work the others. From what I've heard from past missionaries, it's basically impossible, but I'm excited for it! I'll send pics. Ha and it starts the day after transfers. Lucky greenies. For some reason lately, I have the biggest CRAVING to play soccer. I even had to stop and look at some soccer cleats/futsol shoes when we were at the mall today. Oh, and I got some interesting information...I know what day my mission ends. Because of the age change, they are eventually going to switch transfers from 6 to 9 weeks. That throws all of the dates off, so I now finish on February 21. I don't even get two years! I mean, it's only 2 weeks short, but weird! 
Well, gotta go! Love you all. The Church is True!
Love, Elder Sharp

No comments:

Post a Comment